18/02/2010

Personal loss

The connection between what I create and how I feel is so closely knit that I can’t function properly without creating. Those of you who’ve known me for a little while know that I recently lost someone who was closely linked to my family. R was not a family member but so close in my heart that his departure was a significant loss and a terrible blow to my wellbeing.

I would describe myself as a positive person, I smile constantly and take great pleasure in the little things in life like climbing a tree, watching the sunrise, and getting lost while out walking. But sometimes a mood strikes me and the silly things can’t lift my spirits, no matter how hard I try.

I haven’t been on this earth a terrible amount of years and I would never want to compare what I have been through with anyone else but I think I can fairly say that it’s not been the easiest. The only people I call my family is my parents and my brothers and despite how dysfunctional we all are we can stand to be in each other’s company. The rest of my relatives are just connected to me genetics, not by love or closeness and I do not talk to them. I’ve found myself in relationships marred by mental and physical abuse and managed to get out of it with the majority of my soul intact. I’ve encountered drugs and violence in so many forms that looking back at it I feel like I should be at least twice as old to have had time for it all. It feels surreal to know that over ten people that have played a significant role in my life has died, only half of them by old age and/or sickness.

Death is an inevitable byproduct of life, it’s the only thing we can ever be certain of. I don’t mean to be morbid or depressing, I’m only trying to reassure myself that it’s natural and it’s one of the few things that we all have in common.
The loss of a person you love, is on the other hand one of the most unnerving and emotionally disturbing things one can go through. A sudden void, the lack of a voice and a presence. An event that you can never be fully ready for, even if the person is diagnosed with something mortal. There is no preparation.

Creativity is a complex thing. It’s fickle, fragile, forceful, fascinating, foolish and other fantastically suitable adjectives, not only those starting with an f. Creative is defined as being “marked by the ability or power to create” according to the Merrian-Webster dictionary.
My desire to be creative went away when R passed away. I still created things but I didn’t write any songs or stories, I didn’t sing and I didn’t draw. I kept away from the ways I usually pour out my feelings. Most of all I escaped into books, into the world of literature, where all things are imagined and if it gets too sad or scary I could just close the book and rest. I felt the need to press pause and get over the shock before I could process anything.

I’m ready to write now. I’m ready to sing. I’m back, with another hole in my Swiss cheese heart but I’m also stronger than ever.

Thank you for the support, it meant the world to me.

6 comments:

robert said...

this is a beautiful post.

Unknown said...

When we mourn someone dear, the void is so heavy we cannot carry anything besides the pain of loss. Gradually the "lost one" does return to you in memory. You do heal but you are scarred. You realise that, out of respect for their love of you, you have a duty to return to who you were that they held so precious. Even pain is creative. It is after our lives that we become who we truely are... what we leave behind!

bubbleboo said...

What a beautiful post. And yes, you will come back, and you will be strong again, but you will be changed by this experience and that is a good thing. We learn, and we grow, and we are changed by the people around us. The people we love. To lose such a person is a devastating blow, but we owe it to them - and to ourselves - to carry on. You are loved by so many, and you will be supported in all that you do. We will all be here when you are silent, and when you are ready to sing.

NorthernLight said...

What a wonderful post....time will heal, if you let it. And I agree with bubbleboo: no matter what, whether you are silent or your sing, your friends will always be there for you to give you their support. You are a very special woman!!

LindaN said...

Underbar post och din smärta är helt naturlig, det är närheten, inte släktskapet som avgör ibland. Du ärrar men går vidare starkare och vi finns här för dig och R kommer alltid att finnas för att styrka dig in din själ. Massa kramar!

Cat said...

What can I say the others haven't said already? In the short time I have known you virtually, I found there is much more to you than just a very pretty smile.
We are here.