04/02/2010

Procrastination

Today I didn’t get much written on my book, I could tell you that the reason for my blatant negligence was something noble like...
- I was serving food to the homeless
fun...
- I helped proof-read Tarantino’s new script
or otherwise valid...
- I got arrested and had to wait for someone to bail me out

Unfortunately this was not the case today. I was merely procrastinating my time away, reorganizing my sock drawer in system of color*, making a display device for my necklaces** that before was kept in a big jar tangled up and I spent much time gazing out the window hoping for some ideas.

One of my favorite words in Spanish is mañana - that can mean both “tomorrow” and “an indefinite time in the future.” It’s only natural. I like doing things in my own time, smell the flowers and sleep in in the morning. I don’t care much for stress and obligations, deadlines and A.S.A.P.s

Procrastination is a beautiful word that was concocted in the 1540’s from Latin procrastinationem "a putting off.” *** Wikipedia informs me that such behaviour is a “mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting and/or completing any task or decision.” But I don’t feel anxiety... Maybe I’m more properly classified as lazy. But at least I’m lazy and happy about it.






* & ** Photographic evidence can be provided at request.

***procrastination
1540s, from L. procrastinationem "a putting off," noun of action from procrastinare "put off till tomorrow," from pro- "forward" + crastinus "belonging to tomorrow," from cras "tomorrow," of unknown origin.

1 comments:

bubbleboo said...

I am the world's biggest procrastinator...I used to feel bad about it. Now I know I have you for company, I feel much better!