08/02/2010

My 10 favorite singer/songwriters - Part One

These are 5 of my 10 favorite singer/songwriters, as before in my lists, they are in no particular order. They are not the only musicians I look up to, like listening to and admire but merely a few of the many I see make an incredible contribution to the way I view how music should be.


1 David Bowie
He has successfully written songs in more genres than I thought it was possible for an artist to do. Multi instrumentalist, painter, actor, producer and much more... No matter what he endeavors, he knows his stuff.

2 Alanis Morissette
From Canadian pop-star to world wonder. In my opinion she has a song that corresponds to every feeling I have ever felt. Honestly, there are only two songs of hers (since she stopped being a Canadian pop-star) where I can’t say, this song is about me... And that’s a lot of songs to take to heart.

3 Freddie Mercury
Queen - Do I have to say more? Even if I don’t have to, I will. Freddie Mercury was a genius. He not only had a voice with tremendous power, he also had an ear for producing. He revolutionized modern recording as we know it today by inventing ways to make his creative ideas possible. A true perfectionist who was never afraid to do what he believed was best for the songs he was working on.

4 Dolly Parton
I have to admit I’m not specially fond of country music, but Parton is on this list because she is one of the most amazing songwriters ever. She has written over 3000 songs (almost 600 of them listed with BMI) and plays at least ten instruments that I know of. She more than rightfully deserves her place in the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

5 Trent Reznor
The heart and brain behind the industrial rock project called Nine Inch Nails. Industrial rock is surely not everyones cup of tea from what I gather but Reznor has done so much more than taking care of his own career He also happen to be a big fan of David Bowie and Queen, just like I am.

4 comments:

Cat said...

I'm with you about Freddie Mercury.
Even my grandma liked him!!

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Det är ganska fascinerande att se att vi gillar samma musiker, trots att det är ganska stor åldersskillnad mellan oss :-)

Förutom Reznor som jag faktiskt inte kände till innan...

silverfox05 said...

i am not really fond of country music mainly because of the culture here in my country. The farthest i have gone with it would be those of Chicago (are they even country?) LeAnne Rymes, Kenny ROgers and people like that.

I agree that Freddy Mercury truly made history with her songs. Not to mention, breaking boundaries because of his sexuality.

bronsont said...

DOLLY! I actually know her, used to spend summers at the lake in the boat house next to her and Porter Wagoner. She was about 18 then and I was 10ish and IN LOVE :)

Nice lady who has had a hard life, so she has plenty of songs in her :)