22/03/2010

The sounds of silence

I’ve been thinking a lot about sounds today. Those little sounds we have around us that we sometimes forget to notice and those sounds that we can’t help to notice no matter how much we try not to. You know what sounds I am talking about... The tap in the kitchen sink that just won’t stop dripping or that alarm clock on the night stand that seems to hit your head with every tick as you, in vain, try to fall asleep. But I don’t care much to talk about things like that now. I’d rather share a few of my favourite sounds.

My ten favourite (non-musical) sounds:
- The friction induced sound of crystal. (As long as it’s unintentional)
- Popping bubble wrap... But only if it’s me popping it.
- The sound a lift makes just before it stops. (Elevator, for those who don’t speak British English)
- When the vacuum seal breaks for my fine-grind coffee.
- The clicking noise from when someone is knitting.
- The turning of a page while reading a good book.
- Light rainfall on a window or tent canvas.
- Thunder. Slightly frightening, but oh so beautiful.
- Purring cats.
- Heartbeats, preferably listened to ear-on-chest. As close as possible to the source.

I love so many other sounds too, instruments and voices, rustling leaves in the wind, streaming wild water, the heavy “breathing” of my coffee machine, when someone is reversing up the driveway...

I don’t want to make any grand points, I would just like you to stop and listen for a moment to a buzzing bee or a laughing child and enjoy the rest of your day.
Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Spring feelings! I get like that in the spring! well, I always listen, but it seem to be more tense in the spring - perhaps because the winter is so quiet.

LindaN said...

lovely reminder. One of my favorite sounds are joyful laughter from tiny kids in mornings a bit away, sound of wild water hitting shore, light rain on roof, sound of bookreading.

Cat said...

When the weather is right, I always stop on the way home at the place where the synagogue used to be. I sit on the bench and read and often I just sit there, listen and watch and try to soak it all up.

My favorite sound - purring cats. It makes me happy.

bubbleboo said...

What a beautiful post, my friend