31/03/2010

Alone vs Lonely

I wasn’t really planning on writing a blog post. I was happily ignoring almost all forms of communication when I suddenly realized that there’s nothing I’d rather do right now than to talk to someone.

I had not been very interested in internet communities and never really had the time for them until I moved to France. I understood that to stay sane I had to be able to get some type of breathing space. I had to find somewhere I could talk to people without having to struggle with insufficient vocabulary and lack of knowledge of grammar. Since I lacked a natural gateway to meet new (English or Swedish speaking) people in real life, I joined a few social network sites.

I wonder if it’s when you have no one to talk to, that’s when you need it the most and when you’ve gotten the habit of keeping to yourself it can be very difficult to share. Just a thought.

Much too often I hear people saying that they don’t like being alone. I know what they mean but I can help thinking that the definition of the word “alone” should be changed somehow. I know many people don’t agree with me. But since I’m the one writing here I will take my chance and throw my opinion out in the open anyway.

Being alone is a marvelous thing. No disturbing sounds and noises, you can listen to whatever music you want or just have it quiet, you can dance around in your home unseen (as long as you pull the curtains shut so you won’t put up a show for the neighbors) if that’s what you feel like.

I work (and function in general) best on my own, undisturbed. I have the ability to concentrate fully on the task at hand and switch to doing something else if inspiration pulls me in a different direction. I love the freedom it gives me to not have to adapt too much to those around me.

Loneliness for me is a different thing, it’s a state of mind and the times I feel most lonely are the times I’m being ignored when looking for contact or when I’m in a place with people that I feel that I have nothing in common with.

Sometimes the loneliness penetrates my alone time and I start brooding and worrying. I guess it happens to us all from time to time but it’s never an enjoyable experience. That’s when I should try to seek refuge with my online friends, but for some reason I stop myself, thinking they have enough worries in their lives and I need not add another. I have been trying to break this, but old habits die hard.

However, I am determined that alone physically is not the same thing as being lonely.

And to those who feel lonely I just want to give you a hug and say: You are not alone

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post...my dear friend. I could have not said it any better. I love being alone...to reflect on myself, my life, my thoughts. I know I have people who care about me, are interested in my well-being. This doesn't mean I am lonely - not at all!
Never shy away from reaching out to your online friends. (I know easier said than done), it's a slow learning process....I am working on it as we speak. So I have 'dared' talk to people..open up. And I have gotten some amazing responses in return. So if you ever want to talk.....go ahead....this is an invitation!! :))

bronsont said...

You nailed it!

I enjoy my own company and can be complete and happy when no one else is around. My wife is a teacher (and my best friend), so during spring or summer breaks while I have to work she often travels to visit friends or family without me. I love these times, not because she is gone, but because I have the gift of alone time.

There are other times, even in a room full of people, when I feel the need to communicate with someone who may or may not be with me. The need to share can leave one lonely no matter what the surroundings. I totally understand the difference in alone and lonely.

Cat said...

Being from a large family (we were seven kids) I first was afraid of being alone. I moved in with the tall guy and I never lived alone. Then I learned to treasure the moments when he was away, the days, the nights, living by my own rhythm.
He'll be gone for a week soon. I am sure I'll miss him, I'll have my moments feeling lonely, but I can also get up at night and cook something, I can read until 2 am, I can jump up and down on the bed or sleep in my armchair if I want to.

So I say - you are perfectly right.

bubbleboo said...

A post I needed to read today, thank you my friend.

I have a little something for you over at my blog when you get a minute:
http://bubbleboo-thethoughtbubble.com/2010/04/23/honesty-is-the-best-policy/

Have a great weekend!