31/01/2010

A book a week - Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy


Some might not find reading a book a week to be a very daunting task at all, some devour books like they were air. Not me, not anymore.

I often find it hard to sit and read for a longer period of time, not because I don’t like it, quite the opposite. I enjoy reading to such extents that everything else disappears and I need help snapping out of it to do important things like eating and sleeping. So I try reading in short snippets, restricting myself by putting a bookmark where I need to stop reading and check my vital signs. It actually works, together with a big side portion of discipline.

Because of my fear of falling into what I like to call a reading coma and because of all the various projects I’m involved in, I rarely take as much time as I would like for this wonderful task called reading. So I decided, almost two weeks ago, that I should read one book a week and take notes on my process and my various reflections about the plot or author. Anything the book makes me think of, really.

So far, second week into it I’m still on target and I’m currently enjoying a reread of Douglas Adams - (The Ultimate) Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Since the volume is comprised of five separate novels, I count it as five weeks safe reading. Slow start, nothing too extreme.
Those of you who read my previous post will know that this is a very dear book to me. I find Adams way of playing with with words absolutely wonderful. The way he compares the trivial issues with things of decisive importance in the same breath makes logic and reason take on a whole new meaning.

I’m not really capable of writing a review of the books themselves and I wouldn’t even think about doing it until I had finished all five. So I’ll just leave you with my opinion that if you are a lover of the slightly crazy crew of Monty Python, if you’re a sucker for word play and remarkable turn of events, or if you would just like to know the answer of life, the universe and everything - this is a book for you.

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

I’m off to continue reading, let’s hope someone wakes me up in time for dinner.

8 comments:

Cat said...

Monty Python fanatic here!! *jumping up and down with hand in the air*

LindaN said...

I just love those books, so much sarcastic ful of things!

Amle said...

Cat: Same here! *jumps along*

LindaN: Did you read them in Swedish or English?

astrid said...

I have the same feeling with reading, which was why I decided to join you in this one book a week journey :).

Gosh I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff for not reading Adams nor watching Monthy Python... I only know them from "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" :D

Amle said...

Astrid: It's never to late to find out about them. Why not take Adams on your reading list for some other week perhaps, just a suggestion.

Unknown said...

Always been a big Galaxy Hitchhiker... All I can say is "42!"

Amle said...

Cowboy*^*: I hope you brought your towel

Jenny said...

Somewhere along the line, I forgot about reading - for various reasons which belong in a blog post of my own, rather than here in yours. But today I made a promise to myself that I will make room in my life for pleasure reading again. I really look forward to it!

These books aren't available in Swedish anymore, it seems. That's a pity. I don't read as well in English as I do in Swedish - and I do recall the translation being quite decent... Oh well. I do need to re-read them, so I shall have to make do with an English version, I guess...! :-)